Thursday, October 30, 2008

Manjoo ch 2

Chapter 2 of True Enough discusses how people prefer to seek out views parallel to their own. I’m not sure how I feel about this premise. I find myself second guessing its validity. I think that it is true to an extent. It is more comforting to hear views that support your own. However, as I suggested in the Chapter 1 reflection, only seeking like views will lead to ignorance in society. I strive to seek out all perspectives to make an educated decision and opinion.

I find myself thinking back to chapter 1 a lot as I think about the premise Manjoo made in chapter 2. Manjoo has presented various research information and studies that show that people subconsciously choose opinions and information that supports their ideologies. So now why am I questioning this research? He has provided me facts and research.

I am questioning this research because I strive to seek out many different outlooks on something I am interested in. I feel this is the best way to get informed and make a sound, confident stand on any subject.

Manjoo also discusses how media logos on news stories affect the responsiveness of the partisan reader. This leads me to open the topic of the role-related responsibility of journalism, something I strongly believe in and am passionate about. A journalist’s responsibility is to provide true, unbiased information to help the people self-govern. As much as I try to provide unbiased information, as a journalist, someone, somewhere is going to see it as bias or false, or ridicule me for being a journalist because of the large companies that owns what medium/publication I work for. There is nothing I can do about it, which frustrates me.

No comments: