Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Manjoo Ch. 5

In chapter 5 Manjoo discusses the perception of experts. Until reading this chapter, i never thought an expert could be subjective. Manjoo proved it is. However, each person's idea of an expert is relative to their stand or perception on the topic. My favorite example is the example of the mathmetician who knew how to calculate, but couldn't calculate correctly because she was fleunt in the context in which was calculating, the election.

Manjoo also addresses the impact a presentation or speech has on its audience. This was nothing knew to me. People,in general, at the grocery store, post office, teachers, bosses, and politicians get ahead because of eloquence and charisma. I found myslef saying it a lot throughout the election. "Obama is very well spoken, very characsmatic." I'm not sure how much more i buy into what someone is saying based on their eloquence, but I know I am much more likely to listen to them.

Something that I never thought about, just did subconsciously was the way I make decisions. I try to think of myself as a responsible person, who makes educated, decisions that are thought through. But the truth is that I also go on impulse. I never realized that sometimes I think through, in steps, some decisions, and other times just take what other people say into consideration and make my decision. I'm aware as to why I would take some advice and not others. if I am unfamiliar with a person, or don't know their background, I take their opinion/advice with a grain of salt.

I like this chapter the best. I found myself more receptive and less critical to these concepts. I've found fault in the other chapters but this time my eyes were opened and not cynical.

No comments: